Factual updates and other interesting changes are reported here. Adjustments and tweaks are not listed.
Updates for 2018
Sunday, 30th December
- Added the Hirose Cherry Precision B70-4753 to KBref (with a dedicated page).
- Styles A and A′ split out on the gold crosspoint/M7 examples page.
- Added a Cherry serial numbers page, covering just Hirose for now.
- Updated the Cherry keyboard codes page with additional Hirose groupings.
Sunday, 23rd December
- Added a brief comment on the Alps series names and model numbers page, that four-letter series names first appeared in 1985.
Saturday, 22nd December
- Patents page updated with the Western Electric crosspoint patents from 1930s, as found on the Deskthority wiki.
- Hi-Tek Dovetail Series brochure scan uploaded; this is one of the Hi-Tek documents that I arranged with Susan Kennedy (who was in charge of marketing at Hi-Tek) to get sent to Benjamin Rockwell; this document solves the mystery of Cherry’s “W/E Alloy #1” by giving the manufacturer name in full: “Western Electric #1”.
- Switch materials page uploaded, initially covering just Western Electric #1; Cherry pages referencing “W/E #1” are updated accordingly.
- Updated the switch types page with two more foam and foil examples (Key Tronic and BTC) as well as ITW’s patent for a shell with alternative sensing options.
Friday, 21st December
- Mechanical and solid state added to the glossary.
- Switch types page added, with industry-based explanations of mechanical, reed and solid state.
Friday, 14th December
- Started the Hall of Shame against rubbish companies and individuals.
Sunday, 9th December
- Cherry MX 1982–3 part number schema (from Michael Schmid at Cherry via UncleFan) uploaded.
- Cherry MX variants page updated.
Monday, 26th November
Tuesday, 20th November
Monday, 19th November
- Alps series names and model numbers page updated: added SCK41167 and SCK41168, corrected the older pattern series names to three letter series, and updated the older pattern explanation; also, the idea of KBB/KCC/SKCC being SCH originally (alongside SCK) is now suggested.
Sunday, 18th November
- Alps integrated domes page updated.
- Alps series names and model numbers page updated.
- Added a page on switch design characteristics, starting just with terminal design.
- Added a page on Alps SCK series.