Notices for 15th January 2012 to 27th June 2009
Sunday, 15th January 2012
I have maintained a collection of electronic music tracklists and cue sheets in /store/archive/tracklists for years. I have never been happy that Google search results for these are either plain text files with no formal heading, or snippets from the Apache directory listing.
A database-based solution would be trivial to implement, save for the complexities of dealing with a) incomplete tracklists and cues, and b) the need to maintain separate data in the database from the files on my hard drive.
As a quick late-night-hack workaround, I’ve written a directory parser that is able to format the list as a proper table complete with download links: electronic music tracklists and cue sheets archive. I’ve used title properties on the download links to help Google figure out what they point to. It’s not perfect, but it’s a lot better than a virtual directory listing.
While I was at it, I also implemented syntax highlighting for the files, and a cue sheet reformatter. The original cue sheet files remain untouched for now, but for display purposes they are reformatted tidily.
Sunday, 25th October 2009
I’ve liberally sprinkled the screenshots archive with over 25 new screenshots. I do wonder how many visitors, and how many fans, the screenshots archive actually has. In terms of vocal ones, less than the fingers on one hand, and never more than one person concurrently. This is even if “concurrent” is extended out as far as a month or even six months.
Saturday, 27th June 2009
In August last year, Jonathan Livni alerted me to a few bugs in Batch-RegEx, one of which being a problem with global flags. I no longer remember what he said, and all the e-mail correspondence has gone missing, but I rediscovered the bug the other day at work. On inspecting the source code, I quickly tracked it down to a copy-and-paste error where
No idea why I didn’t fix the issue ten months ago, but it’s resolved now.