Jump to page content

Notices for 21st April 2007 to 7th April 2007


Saturday, 21st April 2007

I have updated the Hall of Shame page — wooden table FTW!

I have also documented my observation of a secret woodlouse religious ritual although I have yet to understand the nature of the ritual.

The above page is added to my Assorted odd pictures section, for which the first picture is an item of graffiti in Welham Green. Owing to this, I have finally received my first genuine threat e-mail, from the perpetrators, to be beaten up if I ever set foot in Welham Green again. Nice people. But the photo stays.

Tuesday, 17th April 2007

I don’t know how many of you are using my crappy RSS feed for Bug of the Moment but I have posted another entry today. I don’t know if I need to keep posting entries to the notices or whether the feed is enough. I do need to look into embedding complete entries directly into the feed, since that is apparently how it’s meant to work.

I don’t use RSS: the only site that I read that changes regularly is The Daily WTF and, well, that site is daily and I don’t need a feed for that.

Saturday, 7th April 2007

A message from an Ingo in Germany made me realise something: I never updated the Labratory Level sample tune on my tracked music article after I discovered that my copy was defective. The copy I’d been playing (ripped by Lori Central) was 1:27 in length, but I’ve since realised, after playing the Jazz Jackrabbit 2 demo again, that the file is horribly incomplete. The tune is in fact 2:26 in length. A whole minute of audio is missing.

I don’t know what happened. The patterns weren’t lost, but their entries in the partition table were all missing. I don’t know what file format Jazz Jackrabbit 2 used for music in Windows. The Mac version used plain Scream Tracker and Impulse Tracker files (driven by Antoine Rosset’s player plugins) but the Windows version appears to use another format, possibly a compressed wrapper (Labrat.j2b is around half the size of Labrat.s3m). I can only presume that the file was damaged during conversion. I had a go at rebuilding the partition table, but discovered that I had an intact copy of the tune elsewhere after all! (Much, much easier!) I have now posted this replacement copy on the site.