Jump to page content

Notices for 6th August 2016 to 18th November 2015

Start from the beginning in chronological order

View RSS feed


Saturday, 6th August 2016

Back in March, one Juergen Lohnert requested a portable build of Batch-RegEx (thus making him user no. 2, after Anthony). I knocked up a fresh build that would look for the preferences file in the same directory as the executable first, before falling back to %APPDATA%\Telcontar.

I have now recompiled each program (except 7-ade, which is non-portable) to enable portable mode, and created a build script to enable it (by putting a blank preferences file inside of the zip file ready). In addition, each program now also has an Inno Setup–generated installer: manually unpacking zip files and moving files to Program Files in order to update the program gets tedious.

SMTP Werkzeug 1.5 is now available, with the addition of EICAR and GTUBE test messages, as well as some adjustments to the user interface. Since we do use this program at work, I’ve also adjusted its page to put a more positive spin on the program, since it’s genuinely useful and the framework bugs aren’t really a huge setback.

Sunday, 31st July 2016

Continuing my quest to develop software in the most inappropriate frameworks possible, I now present: 7-ade.

7-ade is basically StuffIt Expander for Windows, built around 7-Zip, using AutoHotkey. It’s something I have wanted for years, and having finally migrated from Windows XP to Windows 10 at work, I decided it was time to have another attempt at creating it. Until now, I’ve had a simple Perl wrapper that only handled zip files, but 7-ade also registers interest in a number of additional file types, now that I can get this to work.

It also offers the beginnings of a rule engine for expansion enhancement.

Wednesday, 18th November 2015

For what it’s worth, HTTP Werkzeug 2.0 is now final. Notwithstanding the catalogue of framework defects (including the perpetually irritating binging from its inability to understand Active Window Tracking), I’ve only just today found the one serious bug, namely that the Other HTTP lines field no longer worked correctly, because newer frameworks use Mac line endings for text fields even in Windows. As a result, my attempt to split the field into lines was failing miserably! Otherwise, it is as ready as it will ever be.